2021 Election Updates
This week the Montgomery County Board of Elections released upcoming deadlines and information for the 2021 election cycle. We want to make sure you have the most current information and deadlines to make your plan to vote.
The 2021 Primary Election will take place on Tuesday, May 18, 2021. You have several options to cast your ballot:
· Vote by Absentee Ballot
· Vote by Mail-In Ballot
· Vote In Person
No matter how you choose to vote, you must be registered by Monday, May 3, 2021.
Want to Vote by Mail?
If you want to vote by mail, you will need to apply again this year, even if you voted by mail in 2020. Any registered Montgomery County voter can apply for a mail-in allot online, download a paper form, or request that one be mailed to their home on our website at www.montcopa.org/VoteByMail.
· If you opted into an annual mailing list, you will receive your 2021 mail-in ballot applications soon, but can also apply online if you prefer.
· If you receive your mail-in application in the mail and do not want to vote by mail, simply dispose of the application.
· Mail-In ballots are only sent to residents who apply, and will be mailed in April after the ballot has been certified.
· Mail-In Ballot applications must be received by May 11, 2021 in order to receive a mail-in ballot for the 2021 Primary Election.
Need to Register to Vote or Update your Voter Information?
You must be registered to vote or make any changes or updates to your voter registration by May 3, 2021 in order to vote in the Primary Election on May 18, 2021.
· Because Pennsylvania has closed primaries, voters that choose Democratic or Republican as their party on their Voter Registration Application can only vote only for candidates from their registered party and nonpartisan contests.
· If you choose a party affiliation that is not Democratic or Republican, you can only vote in nonpartisan contests.
· To check your voter registration information, visit www.montcopa.org/VoterRegistration.
Want to Vote in Person?
Residents who plan to vote in person can visit www.montcopa.org/VoteInPerson to find their polling location, answers to frequently asked questions, and more.
Are you a Candidate Running for Office?
All candidates who wish to appear on the Democratic or Republican ballot in the Primary Election must file nomination petitions and a “Statement of Financial Interests” with the County Board of Elections.
· These petitions can be circulated from February 16, 2021 until March 9, 2021. These forms, along with an instruction packet, will be available at the Voter Services Office and online.
· Candidates who file nomination petitions and successfully win the party’s nomination in the Primary Election will automatically have their name appear on the November ballot for the office they are seeking.
· More information about how to run for office can be found at www.montcopa.org/RunningForOffice.
2021 Primary Election Deadlines:
· Monday, May 3, 2021: Deadline to Register to Vote in the Primary Election (postmarks do not apply)
· Tuesday, May 11, 2021 by 5 p.m.: Last Day to Apply for Mail-in or Absentee Ballots
· Tuesday, May 18, 2021: Primary Election Day, polls open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
· Tuesday, May 25, 2021: Last day to receive Military and Overseas Absentee Ballots
2021 General Election Deadlines:
· Monday, October 18, 2021: Last Day to Register to Vote in the General Election (postmarks do not apply)
· Tuesday, October 26, 2021 by 5 p.m.: Last Day to Apply for Mail-in or Absentee Ballots
· Tuesday, November 2, 2021: General Election Day, polls open 7 a.m. to 8 p.m.
· Tuesday, November 9, 2021: Last day to receive Military and Overseas Absentee Ballots
Montgomery County Board of Elections